June 24, 2012

Haiti(After)

I've been back from Haiti for 6 months now and it's taken me this long to write about it. It's taken me this long because I'm still not done learning or growing from my experience. I learned a lot there, more then I ever thought I would in a week. It's been a roller coaster of emotions since being back. It hasn't been easy and I don't know if life will ever be "easy" again. I'm constantly aware of luxuries I have and what that means. I'm constantly aware of how much more I have here. I'm constantly aware of how different life is.

Going to the store is not an easy task anymore. In fact, when I go, I find myself getting angry and upset. It's hard to look at how many different options we have for things. Why does there need to be 10 different kinds of bread? Why does there have to be 10 different brands of the same cereal? I just don't get it.

Why must people feel the need to waste water? Why does it take 20 minutes to take a shower? Why do you have to leave the water running while you brush your teeth? We are so blessed that the water that comes out of our faucets is clean. We can drink and use this water without having to worry about getting sick from it. It amazes me how much people just don't get.

Now, with all that being said I understand that sometimes you don't get until you experience it. Before I went to Haiti I had an idea of how good we have it but now that I've experienced it, I understand it so much more.  I understand the differences and I understand what it means to be starving and what it means to just be hungry.

It's hard being back in the states even though it has been 6 months. I'm learning how to be thankful for what I have but to not take it for granted. I want to go back, I want to go back so badly. I want to go love on some kids and help in whatever way I can. I just have to wait for God to give me the go ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment